Friday, April 17, 2009

I am Grateful

When I was about 19 years old, a boyfriend broke up with me. I was devastated and wallowing in self pitty when my best friend basically told me to suck it up and think about the good things in my life. She said there's always going to be other people who have it a lot better and a lot worse than you do. Ever since then I decided to be thankful for my blessings vs. focusing on all the things I wish I had.

Since that time, life has thrown me many curve balls. All of my grandparents and both parents have died. I have a very challenging special needs child and always seem to be in the midst of some crisis. But whenever I get down, I always remember those words my friend said a long time ago.

Charlene was her name and she died at age 33 from diabetes. She lived life to the fullest; I think she knew she was going to die young. That small piece of advice changed my life and gave me a whole new outlook. The glass has been half full for me ever since.

2 comments:

  1. Charlene left you a very special gift that will remain with you forever. Your blogs are wonderful! It's not always easy to remember the small, simple gifts that people give us. Thank you for doing it for me (us).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your faithful reads Tima! and yes, she did leave me with something special I will carry in my heart FOREVER.

    ReplyDelete