Saturday, April 4, 2009

Simple vs. Complex: Which is better?


Simple vs. Complex. Which to choose? I suppose as a person seeking validation, the obvious choice for me would be complex. As I ponder this question, in my minds eye, I am seeing a picture of an intelligent and relatively attractive person; someone who comes from a Deep Gene Pool. An A-Lister. College educated. Creative and well versed having stimulating, quick witted conversations. That's who I'd like to be and is the kind of person I like having around. What's not to love?

However, looking back in my life, I think about people I've encountered who tip the Richter scale with complexities. The most interesting of these folks I find are the creative types; artist, poets, writers and musicians. One could spend a lifetime delving into the imaginative thinking of these wonderful breads!
Also amongst the complex group are the true intellectuals; those with masters and doctorate degrees; our professors, philosophers, the true academicians. These complex people are very captivating, full of interest and surprise. However at times I find them a bit heavy, brooding, seeming almost tortured by their gifts.

While contemplating the simple, I can’t help but think of Jenny of Forest, Forest Gump fame. Relating to her character, I too want to run away and escape the complexities of life, seeking to numb the raw human emotions that overtake me. I look for solace in the safe harbors of simple things. A sunset, the softness of a flower petal, a smiling dog, all bring a peace and understanding unexplainable in intellectual terms.

One of my most profound experiences was with my neighbor’s son born with Cerebral Palsy. Body crippled, mind seemingly unaware of his surroundings; simple and basic as one can get. Every now and then I would catch a small glimpse of understanding in his sweet eyes; a hint of a smile as he watched his mother lovingly care for his needs. In these brief moments of clarity, I witnessed the pureness of life, broken down in to two basic elements: Love and Understanding.

So which would I choose? I honestly cannot say either, or neither, but both I suppose. Each has its own accolades, but each is also flawed. One simply has to seek the beauty and grace of both.

2 comments:

  1. I'd rather have a cowboy ask me to dance than a doctor ask me to dinner. I'd go with simple everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reasoning CitySky - I have to agree... I think. Depends on the Cowboy and the Doctor.

    Thanks for the visit and comment. See you on the other side :)

    ReplyDelete